Re: Terror in war

From: David Cake <dave_at_BFHGUEol5KNAlp8-tsVVus05Yv3mzf6kqIxTXkAMHMWH7JJkTblPO-gDU0CxTOMsx7xGVC6>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:18:39 +0800

At 4:52 PM +0000 23/8/07, Rob wrote:
>--- In ImmoderateGloranthaQuest_at_yahoogroups.com, "Mark Galeotti"
><markgaleotti_at_...> wrote:
>> Even ImmodGlorantha can't be allowed to become a forum for bigotry
>> and religious hatred rooted in caricature and ignorance.
>>
>> Mark
>
>Really Mark? You don't watch the news then? Or read papers? Or are
>aware of 9/11? I bet you think that Hezbollah and Hamas are a bunch of
>jolly good fellows who only want a land to call their own and are not
>bent on the destruction of Israel and the anhilation of the Jewish race?

        Of course, by the same logic, Northern Ireland was solid ground for condemning all of Christianity. Violent bigots existed there, so we can just write off both major sects of one of the worlds major religions. Right?

>I live and work in London, which was bombed last year.

        And Catholic extremists were bombing Londoners recently, as Mark points out.

        (and lest anyone decide to link all religion to terrorism, the suicide bombing tactic was invented by a nationalist secular terrorist group, the Tamil Tigers)

>So please don't try and smear me as a biggot or racist.

        Why not?

        FWIW, I think modern Islam is, in large part, deeply fucked up. An excellent book on just how fucked up, written by a practicing Muslim who is both an expert scholar by traditional Islamic and Western academic standards, is Desperately Seeking Paradise, by Ziauddin Sardar. But it also gives you some idea of why most of the problems of modern Islam are not intrinsic to the religion, or representative of most Muslims.

	Cheers
		David