Re: Re: Terror in war

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_l6Tn5KNrOCHmcQqn4TmKuoO3qK3Hyvs2UcGvIw1Pu_t25B8xLtj-DcUrn7OV6x56JHx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:39:28 +1200

At 12:00 a.m. 24/08/2007, you wrote:
> > That's only VDH's interpretation.
>
>I'm much more willing to accept Prof. Hanson's interpretation of the
>Peloponnesian War than yours Peter.

If you can actually bother mustering arguments to the criticisms that I made of VDH's interpretation, your argument from authority would have a lot more credibility. But as it is, you just come across as an unthinking fanboy.

>Why, the Athenian Assembly clearly did not give a damn about massacres
>by their generals. Indeed, the Assembly routinely insisted that their
>generals massacre the civilian population.

"Routinely"? Not even Thucydides says that. There were a lot more solar and lunar eclipses mentioned in the history of the Peloponesian War than ordered massacres of the civilians. I suppose that weird usage of "routinely" comes from the same odd dictionary that in which events of unique horror are described as 'normal tactics'. Speaking of which, why have you shut up about that BTW?

--Peter Metcalfe