Vedr. Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_aQXEOQPvN6VZrzRDXyVWkC3LDnXT5iQm6lRhXLQ7nXwfXOTYfviZFIeIxByJs3l62GIN>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:55:28 -0000

> Well, Olav Tryggvason, while viewed as a saint by the cathlic church
(he brought christianity to Norway), is known as the one who "bapticed Norway in blood", that is, he killed anyone who would not convert.

> Harald Hårdråde was also pretty ruthless killing off opponents and
ordering assasinations. In his last, highly successfull campaign that secured him the power, he burned all the crops and killed all the livestock of the farmers belonging in under his opponents protection, leading to massive starvation.

> So no, I would not say they define "heroic kingship". The
norwegian viking-kings were all brutal warriors, and they more or less had to be to succeed. That was just the way it was at those times, but I don't think they were particularly pleasent people.

And you are distinguishing them for the Heortlings how?

Jeff