Re: "Bad" Lunars vs. "good" Orlanthi

From: oswaldtrimling <oswaldtrimling_at_Mr8WMQksWJy-T5LuxEyLBfnQ9mdMbKv4qKAhBc-f8_cZkqGwCahz4NaFHX1dd>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:40:07 -0000

> I know the lunars are made out to be the bad guys of the story, but
> aren't they really the good ones? In the areas under full lunar
> control, the people prosper and are civilized. In the Orlanthi tribal
> areas, they go around killing each other and stealing their
> neighbour's cows...
>
> I'd much rather live in Dara Happa than in Sartar.

This is certainly a valid perspective, and the way to play it if you're running a Lunar campaign. Of course, as Jeff has pointed out, the Lunars do some pretty horrible things in Sartar, so in a 'heroic' campaign, the PCs may support the aims of the Empire without supporting its methods. But, as a whole, they're no worse than the Heortlings, even if they do have some decidedly bad eggs amongst them (quite possibly including the Emperor himself). *This* is the real moral ambiguity of Glorantha, IMO.

Pre-Lunar Dara Happa is a slightly different kettle of sausages. I don't think I'd much fancy living there, especially if I were female - Sartar might well be a better bet. But, since the triumph of the Lunars, that's no longer generally a problem.