Re: The Exiles List

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_g0tS-9ymJC-19Qwe8NzDyeR5Ucm6saiQb8Lc6HB7fe5TYxqrxTCk8BTCQstu2Hr>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:56:53 -0000

Hi John,

It's a noble and valiant thought and I hope it comes to fuition, even though I am amongst the more jaded and close-to-back-turning (as well as sharing Simon P's suspicion that all that happens is that the same kinstrife and pettifoggery simply migrates). However, trying to be more positive and in that spirit of list honesty, let me outline a few thoughts of my own.

  1. Let's let a thousand Gloranthas bloom. A commitment to creativity and egalitarianism means accepting that Glorantha can support all different kinds of play and styles, from gritty shades-of-grey epics of moral ambiguity to clear-cut morality tales, from odes to the civilising mission of the Lunar Empire to tales of Sartarite liberation. That means more than just a tokenistic invocation of YGMV but a genuinely internalised belief in the sovereignty of our individual Gloranthas.
  2. Let's stand on our own two feet. A corollary of #1 is a recognition that while there are writers whose published work defines canon, that canon only has the currency individuals chose to give it, and no one's voice is louder or more authoritative than anyone else's. No one. That means that crying off to daddy, aka Greg, in the hope of getting backing for a personal view or some arbitration has no place in adult discussion.
  3. Let's create, not interpret. If a post is entirely responsive, simply rebutting (or agreeing), let alone if rebutting a rebuttal, then what good is it doing? If we want to convince others of our points of view (and why should we?), then let us do so by showing just how irresistibly cool/engaging/tragic/entertaining/miffic our vision is.
  4. Let us be courteous. The fact is that much humour does not transmit through text, and those odious little smileys frankly are too often just alibis ("you can't get angry at me, because after I said something nasty and genuinely meant to you, I put a colon and half a bracket, which magically gives me immunity" -- I now know why the colon was so named). We don't have to agree; we don't even have to like each other much. But we can be civilised.
  5. Let us take care. If you can't be bothered to glance over what you write before sending, why should I be bothered to read it? I'm not saying that everything has to have perfect spelling and grammar, but quickie posts are more likely to be pointless, thoughtless and devoid of real content. Let us make our words count for something.

This is, of course, a purely personal manifesto...

All the best

Mark