Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_EhT4U4q9EkhTZL3euIo6T1Vo9EdB3IKwqMVrhKTVJBlNsxfTLbuWoac8LmVViaZhcmpJ>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:21:17 -0000

> According to your examples, she's been killing
> people from many clans of many tribes. This is
> entirely different from sparking a feud with one clan
> from one tribe.

Let's see what my examples were again (frankly I have forgotten them already):

Slaughtering a small Lunar settlement in Wolfsland. No Sartarites involved, just foreign settlers.

Massacre of a settlement near Fort Enstalos. Same.

And my most controversial example - burning down a Seven Mothers temple in the Killard Vale while locals (and foreigners) are inside.

Within her own Kheldon tribe, I think Kallyr's position is unassailable. She is still lawfully queen, she has the tribal regalia, and I strongly doubt the kin of any Seven Mothers worshippers killed during the Fimbulwinter are going to be in much of a position to challenge her.

In the other tribes, 1622-1627 is going to be a time of settling accounts. Frex, I really really would not want to be a member of the Black Oak clan after the Dragonraising. Or a member of the Enstalos tribe (which I suspect gets massacred by the Pol-Joni in 1626).

The Lunars did incredible damage to the Sartarites during their Occupation - and as we all know, the Orlanthi have a system requiring vengeance for offenses against their kin. With the anti-Lunars in power, and the Lunars (temporarily) on the run, those Sartarites who supported the Lunars will be in an extremely dangerous position.

Again, that's just my view of things. My games rarely pit "good" guys against "bad" guys, but instead posits Gloranthan mythology itself as behind the violence and destruction of the Hero Wars. The Great Darkness has returned, the Gods War has restarted, and the End of the Age (and maybe of the world itself) approaches.

> Sure. Genuine Lunar followers, especially
> converts, are likely to have rebels trying to kill
> them. As in all civil wars, and this one is partly a
> rebellion against an invader, and partly a civil war
> against those who are partway willing to accept them,
> feelings aren't cut and dried. A great many people
> will quietly reserve judgement about what their
> in-laws or relatives have decided to do.

Yep.

> > BTW, for some Ancient World comparison check out 2nd
> > Maccabees 8.5-.7 [snipped]
>
> Judah Maccabee did occur to me. He, unlike
> Kallyr, wasn't able to toss the Romans out. He and
> his followers were hunted down and killed. I can see
> the potential parallel, though, in your depiction of K
> and company.

Actually Allison, the rebellion of Judas Maccabee was successful in ending the Seleucid repression of orthodox Judaism (167 to 160 BC), and ultimately in gaining political independence for an autonomous Hasmonean kingdom (142 BC). At the time Rome was a distant ally of the Hasmoneans.

I think you are thinking of the Great Revolt of 66-73 AD, chronicled by Josephus. That revolt was emphatically not successful, although it had some impressive initial successes.

> But she *should* be minding that, at least. Even
> though Vinga may not be her primary divine allegiance
> during the height of the war, it's directly counter to
> the goddess whom she swore to emulate at her first
> initiation. I know that you can argue that many RW
> religious have done the same, but I think that this is
> the wrong argument to use. Gloranthans, as written,
> are supposed to be much more mindful of the
> consequences of committing acts that their gods deem
> wrong and much more in tune with the gods whom they
> choose or are chosen by.

And why would Vinga be upset with her worshipers killing those who have foresworn their divine oaths and offered sacrifice to Shepelkirt?

> That is a salient point. My counterpoint is that
> I'd also figure that those who kept their codes of
> behaviour righteous by Orlanthi standards even during
> those worst days would have the best claim to
> leadership after the crisis was over. Those who
> figure, hey, no spirits of retribution, so fuck
> everyone and steal their food, are not the models that
> a sane person would want in power.

I'm not sure folk were terribly sane during the Fimbulwinter. Notably, the only leader that comes out looking good (at least in my view of things) was King Broyan - who was outside of the world during the first terrible stage of the Fimbulwinter and is the one who provides a direction during the terrible Darkness ("This is the Great Darkness, prepare for the fight.") And Broyan is simply repeating old Heortling myths (and for him, his continued existence as a Vingkotling and as the King of the Hendrikings is the rebellion).

> Dragons, atomic bombs of Glorantha. Right, it
> may have insanely risky, but it worked. A definite
> argument in K's favour. Though I gather that there
> were people who were at least as important in getting
> that scheme off the ground.

> Though I don't see why it would be considered
> inherently evil. Dragonewts have been around for all
> of this time. so that contact's possible, and the
> Sartari weren't the population devoured and destroyed
> in the Dragonkill War, just the settlers who moved in
> centuries later.

The Dragonkill was the most destructive and terrifying that ever happened to the Orlanthi. Worse than the Gbaji Empire, worse than the Lunar conquest. It instantly exterminated the core of the Heortling peoples, leaving only the peripheral tribes of Heortland and of Saird.

Jeff