Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_fISyZzeudv89bvG7jJwmmeyQIRnmdJiXiY1hhK5opLH-ekSdSQCKIX35WQ9yKr1SiNu1>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:40:29 -0000

> While I regard myself as discouraged from posting anything on the
> "newbie-friendly" list, I miss the old tossing of ideas that made up
> much of what I liked on the Digest.

As far as I am concerned ANYTHING GLORANTHAN is game on the WoG list.  Period. It is not a newbie-only list.

> In all fairness to Stephen, his Books of Drastic Resolution did have a
> similar taste to Jeff's snippets from Talastar. Attempting to be
> definitive and authoritative, between highly useful and restricting
> the creative process which made Glorantha a wide-spread community.

I'm just posting snippets from stuff Greg and I have been working on. And indicating it as such.

BTW, anytime anyone writes anything it can "restrict the creative process". The issue seems to be whether everything that has been written needs to be incorporated into everything that will be written.  I say no, others say yes.

What I see as stifling is the insistence that most folk have that we must "color within the lines" of what has already been written instead of going where our creative vision takes us. Don't like what Greg and I are writing? Fine, pay no attention to it. We are not exercising any editorial veto over what Moon Design publishes. Glorantha is broad enough to handle contradictory materials.
> Reading that latest bit on Feldichi, I formulated a couple of theories
> about their civilization, then realized it does not matter. Apart from
> a few "technological" artifacts, they are gone, forgotten, and twice
> covered by chaos eating up surviving facts. I could go to lengths
> imagining what they did where they did it.

Greg and I have been toying around with them recently. They may matter in explaning part of Dorastor's "wrongness" - even before the Arkat curse.

> I will try a theory on WoG, though...

Go for it.

> I suppose creating a set of Ratite ruins for exploration in North Pent
> would be more worthwhile than placing anything in Dorastor.

Why?

Jeff