Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_zw5R9yZWjS6dI4Xnnc57R0kRnMO_dwwbXlwXwkUni5YjGqm9mh1uIi1HoZQUCH1iotmZ>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:50:30 -0000

> > As far as I am concerned ANYTHING GLORANTHAN is game on the WoG
> > list. Period. It is not a newbie-only list.
>
> You don't see me shying away from that list. (Unlike a too large
> number of Digest veterans...)

More is the shame for them. Then again, most creative collaberation occurs off-Digest nowadays, via email or Skype.

> > The issue seems to be whether everything that has been written
> > needs to be incorporated into everything that will be written.
> > I say no, others say yes.
>
> Personally, I like continuity. Old writings may be contradicted - if
> it is done with respect and humility, to quote the Arkati maxim of
> heroquesting.

Old writings by who? What is a contradiction? The Dorastor book refers to Humakt and Orlanth - Greg and I are now using local names like Enbaktavar and Viskuranth. Is that a contradiction?

> Contradictions want reasons. I liked the bit about the names of
> Humakt, stating that using the ancient name of Humakt gives better
> access to the magic than using the generic name. Still, it has much of
> "yet another name noone will remember". Seeing it spelled in four
> different ways in as many occurrances won't help making that name
> memorable, either... ;P

You should see how many different ways Greg and I have spelled Lhankor Mhy recently....

> The problem is that in a couple of cases, the rest of the tribe
> doesn't keep up with those directions, probably lacking the trail
> which brought you there.

OK, I am a little confused by this one here.

> > Don't like what Greg and
> > I are writing? Fine, pay no attention to it. We are not exercising
> > any editorial veto over what Moon Design publishes. Glorantha is
> > broad enough to handle contradictory materials.
>
> Glorantha may be. The creative community that created that tribe gets
> discouraged by YGWV ("meaning everything I try to contribute is
> pointless") as much as by One-True-Wayisms.

YGWV does not mean "everything you try to contribute is pointless". But the fact is, Greg (or any other author) is not required to use your contributions. On the other hand, while writing some Second Age background on Talastar with Greg, I found myself heavily relying upon Nick's old Carmanian notes. Some contributions stand the test of time.

Other contributions don't. Frex - you and me wrote a bunch of stuff about Heortland and King Broyan many many years ago - which relied heavily on John Castalucci's stuff. When Greg and I wrote the History of the Heortling Peoples, I rejected a lot of stuff I wrote.

Jeff