Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_zYpWHM65CdlYa29pLg-iJF9kjx_C97yN4ZezdUmHXPrasK6vvMdqH1mbZiHj-XD4RZ5Z>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:47:00 -0000

> There is, of course, a balance between treating everything as a sacred
> cow and relegating the role of every successive writer to, as you put
> it, colouring in between existing lines, and wilfully ignoring what's
> there. OK, given my role with ILH-1 I appreciate a degree of
> proprietory egotism here (though I didn't actually write that bit), but
> I can't help but be sad at the eagerness with which even HQ 'canon' is
> revised or simply dumped.

Sorry Mark, but with all due respect, there are always going to be minor details in any book that end up getting revised or dumped when it intrudes on something where that detail becomes central. Just as I am pretty certain there are things you have written that contradict minor details printed elsewhere.

Now Tarumath was always going to be problematic - since it was lifted from an unfinished and ongoing draft of Harmastssaga. Or should a throw away detail that is pretty tangential to ILH-1 trump what has been one of Greg's core ongoing Glorantha stories?

This is the problem with the (mis)use of the word "canon". The core of ILH-1 and -2 is probably never going to be revisited - there is no need to. But peripheral details in it - or in any other work - may get revised when a work focusing on those details gets written.

Jeff