Ducks: A Guide to the Durulz

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_tRPWSYBSX13Jj57wh9_GXSDEwZPXSWgukVdUYRn8C9WzoiLSjvs_jBmXBw0uR>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:07:18 -0000

I picked up my copy of 'Ducks: A Guide to the Durulz' yesterday, a 120-page greyscale softback (with colour cover), retailing for fifteen of my English pounds.

All in all, it's an accomplished, well-written book, and I'm sure it'll be of great use to many who are interested in ducks. It's difficult for me to comment upon it without any bias--not necessarily because I disagree with its contents, but because I'm opposed to an official ducks book by way of principle, and have been for a while.

In thirty years of official Gloranthan publishing next to nothing has been written on ducks. That which has been written has been somewhat coy--hinting, but explaining little. The result is a bundle of curious mysteries, compounded by Gloranthaphiles' creativity and imagination, (often contradictory) pet-theories and humour.

Some of us find these riddles more fun and inspiring than any answers.

'Ducks' gives a lot of these answers. There is a lot of information on myth and a fair amount on culture. As a 'Little Glorantha' person, I'm less interested in 'Big Glorantha' ideas (e.g. structure of the Otherworlds; the elemental progression--which is the most facile idea in Glorantha, but I digress) and myths themselves, than the peculiar little ways in which some things show up in culture.

Like aesthetics.

On that note, my favourite parts of the book are these 'little' things. The lovely details on shrine-poles and their designs (it's a shame these are not properly illustrated); the nice collection of duck quirks, traits and knacks. It is in reading of these curious little idiosyncracies that, for me, ducks come alive.

The book takes a pluralistic approach to ducks, speaking of settlements across Glorantha. This is something I've advocated in the past, but now grow a little unsure on. We expect such variety with keets, naturally; but lacking the association with Delecti and the Upland Marsh, I do feel that ducks lose a certain... je ne sais quoi.

There is a lot of MRQ information for playing ducks. The book is very successful in combining background and rules into a cogent, informative, easily digestible whole. I'm impressed: the author has made a good fist of tackling a very difficult subject. I cannot honestly say as to how much use I'll get out of the book; I'm not sure I'm the type of person it's written for. But I do think it will provide good, enjoyable, gameable information for Gloranthaphiles.

Just one thing.

The art direction. Or lack thereof.

Duck physiology will always be YGWV. Anthropomorphic DUCKS or ANTHROPOMORPHIC ducks? 'Ducks' prevents a very confusing picture. I am certainly in favour of including an element of this YGWVism in the art direction; of allowing the artists creative leeway. Yet I'm not impressed by the confused and often contradictory collection of illustrations in the book, which do not always go with the text and often detract from it.

Sadly, the poor artists themselves will probably get the blame, though the issue is not theirs. I very much like what Jesse Mohn set out to do in illustrating the various kinds of ducks, which he achieves very well. Yet every Gloranthaphile I've spoken to so far has been put off by the overwhelmingly human form of Jesse's durulz, which in terms of anthropomorphication goes beyond anything I've seen before. Was there no discussion before commissioning and accepting such work? Any direction at all? Mind you, this is somewhat in keeping with Mongoose's past depictions (notably the miniatures), so it could well be a conscious decision.

We have been spoiled by having such folks as Simon (UW, Issaries, Moon Design) and Dario (Tradetalk), Gloranhaphiles and talented illustrators in their own right, act as our artistic directors and acquisitions editors. It is a shame that Mongoose does not possess likewise.

I'm finding it difficult to see anything peculiarly 'Gloranthan' in the artwork in 'Ducks', a criticism that has been directed at Mongoose in the past. Obviously people have different tastes. We can't please everybody. But this continuing issue is infuriating as one answer is lamentably obvious.

Put some bloody runes on them!

Seriously. It's that easy. We're simple people, and easily fooled. Do this, and much popular criticism will drop away. Try it.

Oh, I almost forgot. Ducks bear live young. Again. Ooops...

Stew.