Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_FLQOF7Vnmg3sekdscrmEEar-Xp83g8wKpMPwu3_dZdecmz8eqNrKwT_aUO0RlE7eC->
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:47:39 +1100

> Discuss. Cuss. Whatever ....

The only thing motivating people at the moment is some poorly structured discussion about narrative vs simulationist agendas that seems to receive its definitions of those terms from the equivalent of (if not actually from...) a guy who once looked a forum where someone who had seen a game written by someone from the Forge but never actually played it may have wrote something under an alias.

Motivation of this sorts bears more resemblance to the vague agistation of a hapless Queensland pool filter slowly swirling the leafy waters before chugging to a slow hot death from an overdose of acacia leaves.

The fact is that we don't just need more products out and about, we need products that expand, inspire, and Include (shut up Orlanthi!) without limiting, canonising, and concretising. This might seem contradictory but it's been done before! It may even be being done now, but we don't know because it takes a geological age for anything to come out! FFS, we've moved on to a new edition and we are still waiting for something about the West?! All people seem to do is wait wait wait for the next Thing and cannibalise each others enthusiasm until people just go and do something else.

I've been trying to get people locally enthused about the world, about the game; but it's hard when you have to follow up with things like "Oh well that is out of print" or "Still in layout". I appreciate that it's hard to get people to work for nothing... maybe we have to stop getting people to work for nothing? Somehow the Burning Wheel gets stuff out from time to time, maybe its about time people upgraded their productive technologies a bit in order to, you know, produce things?

As for this guy...

> Dimjim, son of Jimbob, son of Jimbruce the Flatulent

Where are my bloody red bean buns, bucko?!

--
John Machin