Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_kVcNZksl4927ZleG98QTZPjXmUjUSMunx3i3AMUcbLTUI4kQL9ZgN7I8CDkJa>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:32:21 -0000

> So, roll on Mongoose. They, at least, are making an honest
> simulationist RPG for fans of the greatest of old-school
> simulationist game worlds.

Oh for an 'honest simulationist RPG' that was something more than a self-consciously weighty and detailed combat system that contrastingly diminishes most other notions of endeavour and existence to 'yeah, yeah, just roll a d100'. A system wherein the supposed wealth of material it seeks to use and evoke is implemented a little better than I GOT BLADESHARP 4, MOTHERFUCKER!

No offence to Steve, it was full of interesting ideas, and progressed notions of roleplaying games. But it's 2009 and it's been a while since these games evolved from their wargaming roots. You could at least make some notional effort. Thank God for wargames and combat-oriented RPGs--if we didn't have them to sate the lusts of armchair generals everywhere, there'd be sword-wielding SMOFs rampaging through the streets of Bridlington.

Of course, the irony is that under-developed social rules, for example, in part existed because conflicts of such a kind were resolved via voce at the table. Everyone would argue with each other over, gang up on the GM and force a compromise. Pretty much like some N-word games I've been in, then...

More importantly:

WHICH FUCKER STOLE MY NUMBERS?!