Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_1iUtSuRBXQEfyIlVjJIhXyFWHHABWIx2eXzR234cktdkhGRZ7qNjRRnra>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:36:23 -0000

> 2) Glorantha is probably pretty poorly suited to narrative play. A
core idea of narrativist play (in the Forge version) is that the players provide the narrative. <

You can't have read the Forge much. The key idea of narrativist play is that it addresses a premise. Some folks point out that it might more correctly be called issuist or themist. Looking for a premise? HQ1 is chock full of them. The Old World is Over...

>Get a gaming group who are all Glorantha experts, and narrativist campaigns can be awesome<

Actually we would say that their is far more of a need to appreciate storytelling games and be open minded about them. Most of our players in the last 3 years have had no knowledge of Glorantha.

The arch-Forgite and champion of Hero Wars Ron Edwards documented the narrativist game he successfully ran with newbies on the forge.

>This is pretty much completely at odds with the Forge version, which is where the narrative is supplied by the players themselves, not the external world.<

Published scenarios were in many cases linear, certainly. I don't think you need to want to play in a narrativist style, but the theme does not need to come from the players, only their response to it. In many cases the theme comes explicitly from the setting. Check out Ron Edwards play of HW on the Forge.

Frankly, your argument is so riddled with holes that if it were a boat it would have sunk at sea drowning everyone aboard. Run screaming passengers from captain David Cake.

PS I'll be surprised if this post appears as my posts here usually get censored.