Re: Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_8cefq5FimBCH0YON45KeSZygQ221t8rUoNgtoGq8J6nRPF3On_YtSNhO1zf8lvyQ>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 11:14:41 +1100

Jesus, reading the Forge is suddenly a core criteria for being able to have an intelligent discussion about gaming? Arkat's bent knob it is.

The Forge thingee IMNSHO is firstly, all about System. System is one component: Genre and Participation are equally important. System is Nothing. Genre is Everything. Ok that's a personal philosophy, and I'm biased. Let he who is without sin...you all know the Koranic verse. This year marks 20 years of systemless gaming here in Oz. It was 1989 when I wrote and ran 'Memory', and the design notes were as important as the module. Catharsis, emotional range, non-invasive choice, building and blocking, safe corners, full and partial character immersion, trust and co-creation: these were foundation concepts that are still part of our systemless gaming vocabulary. All Participation ideas. Having gm'd folk from different national gaming cultures in both systemless and traditional games, I've observed the strength and blind spots of different traditions. And slavish devotion to system is a simply one regional tradition.

Genre is about types of story, limits to story, emotional and dramatic range of story, mimesis. Genre is a lot like the Gloranthan concept of myth: it provides shortcuts and well-worn paths of story, but it also creates 'no-go zones' that constrain or limit the way we can think about things. And for an uber-traditionalist genre like Glorantha, the concept of genre-exhaustion is one that has to be consciously addressed.

Secondly the Forge represents, a sort of gamist Campellism, where you can have long conversions about the narrativism, simulationism, whatever with actually saying, *anything* about the real game being played, its players or its enjoyment. Watch the eyes glaze over. its also like Campbellism in that it keeps changing the definitions and rules to suit particular instances.

 >And Greg wouldn't be the author of Prince Valiant or Ghostbusters both key texts in the narratavist canon would he?

Key texts? Both sold about three copies. And that includes author freebies.

>Actually we would say that their is far more of a need to appreciate
>storytelling games and be open minded about them.

That's better.

>PS I'll be surprised if this post appears as my posts here usually
>get censored.

Well I knew creeping paranoia was endemic in certain Gloranthan quarters, but I'm surprised and saddened its spread to Ian. Next you'll be creating mortal enemies of everyone who dares to express a contrary opinion. :) Dude, you're talking about Julian Lord - who'd struggle to organise a takeaway pizza! (Sorry Julian - too early in the morning for me to get creative with the insults. Perhaps you could supply a few yourself. If you can tie them in with Chaos features Jeff will put them in his bumper big book).

And this is Glorantha! When faced with the choice of conspiracy or incompetence - go for incompetence every time. Even our bloody conspiracies are incompetent! Next time you post, try to spell the list name right. And check your Yahoo settings.

dim jim

John Hughes
Publications Editor
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research College of Arts and Social Sciences
Hanna Neumann Building #21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730
W: www.anu.edu.au/caepr

CRICOS Provider #00120C

The CAEPR website has a large and growing electronic library of publications available
for free download, including Discussion Papers, Working Papers, Monographs and Topical Issues.