Re: Digest Number 1117

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_R98X9QTIUH7ghifc9-Lf9gEUwPsfAHlEosEnvrM6vW4EKr5aRwJH1EfbG>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:41:10 +0000 (GMT)

Wow I'm not sure this is the place to defend the goals of the Forge but:

>>Secondly the Forge represents, a sort of gamist Campellism, where you
can have long conversions about the narrativism, simulationism, whatever with actually saying, *anything* about the real game being played, its players or its enjoyment. <<

Not true. It's no longer acceptable to discuss theory on the Forge outside of the context of real-play any more. The Forge got bored with use of its theory in other contexts. The Forge is all about real gaming. And its theory - now called the Big Model - is supposed to help solve at table or game design issues.

>And Greg wouldn't be the author of Prince Valiant or Ghostbusters
both key texts in the narratavist canon would he?
>>Key texts? Both sold about three copies. And that includes author freebies.
Sales bear no relation to influence on other designers. Many modern games wouldn't exist without these two.

>Actually we would say that their is far more of a need to appreciate
>storytelling games and be open minded about them.
>>That's better.

Cool, something we can agree on.

>Dude, you're talking about Julian Lord - who'd struggle to organise a takeaway pizza!

Sorry I thought it was in the spirit of this list to turn incompetence on the part of others into paranoid suggestions of conspiracy. Isn't that the way of our community now. I just wanted to fit in with everyone else.