Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_wNv442YI6DxQrRVNKYfdXoB7duQQF9l_BFlpbc4rTPmTN7sqkqDL3jOFg>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:31:36 -0000

Story games is far better and where I suggest you go. I rarely hang out at the Forge Despite being cast as an apologist for it, I also have iasues with the Big Model. However, like all models its abstration, while imperfect, can be a useful analysis tool.

> point, can we agree that System is but one small part of the gaming experience, and that a working understanding of Genre and
Participation/Play are equally important?<

Yep.

> But I'd make the claim that Gloranthan gaming is Genre gaming with a capital G, and one of the keys for successful play is understanding
and making explicit the strengths and the blind spots of Gloranthan genre. We need to grapple with Glorantha.<

I'd like to agree, my hesitation is to what you mean by genre gaming i.e. what genre is/are Glorantha?

Ghostbusters: dice pools, traits, brownie points, no rules for movement etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(role-playing_game) Prince Valiant: simple vs extended contests, episodes http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9189.phtml