Re: Pingpongo the Nose Picker vs Britney Pilums

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_zLLX6x19Js2SlAUa3pK431obUAbLP6BZ6NoRXSxseumGLJyVst8v0EHH1W2xjC9Ya5>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:57:45 -0000

For me, the point of Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe were not to give you all the cults/sub-cults that your players might play, but to give most of what existed in the culture--either significant because they are popular, or significant because they fulfill important niches, or significant because of mythic/historical reasons.

Again, for me, any description of a culture which doesn't sound sustainable/stable always really hurts my suspension of disbelief. At 13 years old I could see that D&D magic made no sense, because with magic that powerful surely there should be more ways to build up structures, speed plows, build roads, protect crops, and so forth. Likewise when I hit RQ at first it seemed odd that most of the magic was used for killing things of one sort or another, or else for protecting oneself from the same. (yes, there was some other stuff, but the ratio was rather unlikely).

I thought that this was one area where HQ really got it right. I showed a fairly complete and believable culture, then left it to the narrators and players to find what parts they wanted to use.

I'm sure I'll find much to like in the new take on things, once I eventually get my paws on it, but the elimination of minor and less adventurous cults/sub-cults/hero-bands will not be a plus with me.

But I'm glad that some others like the new take, and are willing to push it. I do wish the new book the best of fortunes and sales. How many non-grognards will splash out ~$100 for it I don't know, but I hope that a lot will do so.