Re: Re: Pingpongo the Nose Picker vs Britney Pilums

From: Sam Elliot <SamLElliot_at_0x9NMFPLWph92J5oZ369o6mXyLYAvtUPOI-1xuCRMA4JqYKfJlytTuYa2m_PT77Nw>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:51:40 -0300

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Bryan <bethexton_at_DaWg5Z7NprHrDAatCK6jXUaegMg517BEw4H2d3CIQ5YpPx5Dq9yxWGFGEvw1c6cZoACL39ivlCh-7QVkdQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> Paolo:
>> > Wahooooooooo!!! Glorantha is back on track, at last! It's HeroQuest,
>> > but it is the Old Glory again. Gone are the cults like "Pingpongo the
>> > Nose Picker, aspect of Orlanth that oversees the elimination of
>> > excess body hair" with a fixed set of silly affinities, that no sane
>> > gamer would ever have his character worship."

Yeah, whatever.

>> Then I must be insane.

Or even conceivably wishful of some ideas for NPCs rather than statblocks.

> Again, for me, any description of a culture which doesn't sound
> sustainable/stable always really hurts my suspension of disbelief. At 13
> years old I could see that D&D magic made no sense, because with magic that
> powerful surely there should be more ways to build up structures, speed
> plows, build roads, protect crops, and so forth. Likewise when I hit RQ at
> first it seemed odd that most of the magic was used for killing things of
> one sort or another, or else for protecting oneself from the same. (yes,
> there was some other stuff, but the ratio was rather unlikely).

Bryan was marked from an early age - he was always going to be an engineer :)

Now what I like about those endless lists of spells is when they give you ways to move water, transmute rock into something else, persuade people of things. All those spells which boil down to 'cause 1d4+1 damage' / 'cause 2d6 damage' / 'cause 4 pts more damage than you otherwise would'. Just...

> I'm sure I'll find much to like in the new take on things, once I eventually
> get my paws on it, but the elimination of minor and less adventurous
> cults/sub-cults/hero-bands will not be a plus with me.

Me neither. I really liked the subcults.

> But I'm glad that some others like the new take, and are willing to push it.
> I do wish the new book the best of fortunes and sales. How many
> non-grognards will splash out ~$100 for it I don't know, but I hope that a
> lot will do so.

Is that US$ or Canadian $? Either way, crikey!

Sam.