Re: Digest Number 1206

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_QCIav6u5eoEpIERuaRtwU6Uj5d1ZIRO0WVaYoQ3jPZkyyPOJTjINirFNKSJ8WdUQsNXWy>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:36:33 -0800

> Yes, but what is rule one?
>
> and is there a rule two?

Ah, now, Jim-Bruce, had you asked in *that* manner, I would have answered, with a smile on my lips:

"Rule One magazine takes it's name from the 'First Rule' of Heroquest (there are actually two 'First Rules' listed in Heroquest 1, but both apply): 'Play the game, not the rules' (page 10 of the HQ 1 rule book) and 'YGWV: Your Glorantha will vary' (page 177)." (Rule One was conceived, and the domain name bought, before HQ2 came on the scene).

>From these two "First Rules" come my editorial directions for Rule One:
specifically: "I don't care what rule system an article is written for" and "Nothing is official". If you want to submit an article for R1 written for the My Little Pony RPG (yes, there really was one, at least in the planning stages: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060401a), or an article about the Vampire Clan of the Greydog Tribe, I'll probably print it, as long as it has Gloranthan Gooey Goodness.

Rule Two? Probably "I'm the boss". Of course, as R1 is a one-man operation, this makes it kinda' hard to say "the boss is a creep and doesn't understand me", but I manage.

> You misrepresent me sir: I am old and slow and my sheep swiving days
> are now long behind me.

Ah, so to channel my inner Yakov Smirnov, "These days, the sheep swive *you*."

RR