Re: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha? [Part 1]

From: Jeff <richaje_at_pKtrHLImOC_R_wv3bDvnQXRzhYQNvcPUU2lXB4pL2yu3TkuWVEbsRekaUnUJyymrYJ0j>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 15:22:59 -0000

> > I wrote 10,000 words for--hang on, let me get this right---the book
> > after the book after the book after Men of the Sea. Thankfully,
> > Rick et al. are pushing a sensible publication model. 'Official'
> > Glorantha has consolidated. There simply isn't the market, nor the
> > resources, to serve Glorantha as some want.
> >

> Announcing lots of books looked good, but as so many times before, we are let down when they don't appear, or are continuously postponed. Some we will get through other chanels (Trotsky's western material) others may never appear

OK let me weigh in as someone who has written more than 750+K (Rick thinks it is closer to 1 million) words for Glorantha publications in the last few years (a total which has probably only been met or exceeded by Greg, Sandy, and Loz).

I've committed to writing Pavis and the Big Rubble, Whitewall (which is morphing into more general Holy Country book), and the Guide to Glorantha. I've said those will get done and they will. We have other books in the works by authors other than myself, including (but certainly not limited to) The Coming Storm which is getting very close to finished draft. The others I won't announce until I am ready.

But let me make a suggestion: just write something. If you want it to be published by Moon Design or incorporated in some other book, then you are going to have to work with me (since I am the Line Editor for Moon Design), which means running ideas by me and dealing with my revisions. Ian Cooper can talk plenty about that. Those people who have been helping me with the Malkioni wizardry rules and the Lunar magic rules can also give you an impression of how much of a pain I am to work with on such stuff.

Fwiw, stuff Moon Design publishes is canon for future Moon Design publications (for people who care about that).

But if you want to get it published without running it by me, talk to Newt. Or just post it on your website. It might not be "canon" (for people who care about that), but who *really* cares?

Regards -

Jeff