Re: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha? [Part 1]

From: Rick <rmeints_at_NU_Qj7NdVevbY8lAY07UUqs8pW44Ive5oCLdkQRiiq98RyQrE67mxvO-JXiLnf7dBIAR>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:19:55 -0000

> > It's time to stop taking Glorantha apart, and start putting it back together. Recent supplements are a good start.
>
> More than this, the apparent requirement that all published materials should be coherent with each other is a stifling one. Glorantha is a world where multiple points of view and multiple realities coexist, but there has been a very annoying tendency in recent years towards blank description rather than the delicious openness of the 1980s materials.
>
> Multiple realities exist in Glorantha, and contradicting any of them on the fly for simple purposes of story-telling or whatever can be a good thing.

To which I respond:

One person's "lack of coherence" is another person's "confusion". While a handful of very knowledgable gloranthan scholars revel in adding all manner of contradiction via esoterica, there is a much larger audience of newcomers and more casual gloranthans who get overwhelmed by it, and often just walk away, usually forever.

As for what Moon Design "requires" for materials we publish, we sincerely feel we are taking both a needed and well received approach. I would be happy to contrast the Sartar Companion to the "delicious openness of the 1980s materials" you refer to, but I'm honestly not sure which ones you are referring to. If nothing else, we publish the Stafford Library, which if they don't embody "multiple realities" and "multiple points of view" I have no idea what does.

Moon Design also licenses other Gloranthan publishers like D101, which has both a different and more wide sweeping approach to what it publishers, and that's great. There's also Rule One, and Tradetalk, and other publishing outlets available. What's being stifled?