Re: RE: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_98HuioALqrkYfo8aiqwBSGBdgRWKGY_8lVRj7bFB3s5FNs8R9Zz7vJXLrcI9Swycgex>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:40:39 +0100

John Hughes wrote:

> Then gradually, Glorantha became less of a game world and more of a
> Work of Art(TM), supposedly some Tolkienesque Monolith of Great
> Insight (TM), except we seemed to have skipped the actual stories and
> gone straight to the Christopher Tolkien sub-literary notes and scraps
> phase. It became more serious. It became more turgid. It became
> unreadable.

In fairness, while there's still plenty of the sub-literary notes coming out, Kingdom of Heroes and Sartar Companion do seem to have a fairly strong gaming focus, which bodes well in that particular respect.

> If we've moved forward from campaign date 1608 ST through to 1619 ST
> or so in thirty real-time years of official scenarios, that means we
> can expect the campaign for the Fall of Glamour (1670-ish) in about
> 2190. CE. (If man is still alive. If woman can survive. Woo oh...)
>
> We almost got to Dragonrise, but then the Sartar campaign cycle was
> cut dead and replaced with several years of (sigh) deep background
> scribbles. And remember all those years of Hero Wars advertising...
> The Hero Wars are between Coke and Pepsi... etc. etc. etc. False
> advertising. Still waiting. Patiently.

This does seem to be an issue, I agree. Of course, we're promised that stuff is on the horizon... but aren't we always?

> But the East, the Isles, Pamaltela? Thirty years since they were first
> systematically described, and almost nothing of use has come out about
> them. Time to forget 'em? I've no doubt that there will be chapters
> about them in the next reprint of the World Guide, but you have to
> ask, WHY?

Why are they there at all, or why have they not been covered more? Concentration has always been on Sartar and Prax, and, to a lesser extent, the Lunars and the West, and I think that's fine - but there's no reason to forget the rest exists, just because it hasn't been detailed yet. What would be a bad thing would be a huge amount of stodge on (say) the deep mythology of Teleos, but that's bad by virtue of its stodginess, not of its geography. Concentrate on what's doing well, but don't forget the rest is there, would be my advice - and I think the balance is about right with the recent publications, in that respect.

> 3. Don't fuck with established gods.
>
> Will Vinga ever be mentioned in a SMJR publication? We can only wait
> and see.

In fairness, according to the index, she's mentioned three times in Kingdom of Heroes. She even has a paragraph all to herself on p126. The fucking with established gods seems more to involve changing them or deprecating them, rather than actually ignoring them. Although that can be equally irritating.

> Give your NPCs stats if you want to.

The horror!

> 5. If you inherit a world-wide network of co-creators who co-operate
> in world-building, writing myths and stories and running discussion
> lists and support websites, nurture it. Encourage it. Celebrate it.
> Don't be afraid of it.

Hmm.

--
Trotsky