Re: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_X53X1PL4EH-Mu0f5dRoSMgcfaL2zGwSATxLvXdbT4D4WMpwWANSaxU_zN>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:32:02 +0100 (BST)

Just some brief comments:

>But the East, the Isles, Pamaltela? Thirty years since they were first systematically described, and almost nothing of use has come out about them. Time to forget 'em? I've no doubt that there will be chapters about them in the next reprint >of the World Guide, but you have to ask, WHY?

Great space for fan creativity if you ask me, less likely to collide with official publications. I'd love to see all that pent up creative rage poured into fan visions of Pamaltela.

>When I first bought Runequest in 1980, there was a single page of future history that outlined the course of the Hero Wars in broad strokes - Pavis Rebellion, Dragonrise, liberation of Boldhome, and on to Glamour. THIRTY YEARS on, and >in official publications, we're still waiting for the story to START. We almost got to Dragonrise, but then the Sartar campaign cycle was cut dead and replaced with several years of (sigh) deep background scribbles. Still waiting. Patiently.

The Coming Storm will be 1618-25, so we will cover off the original vision of Sartar Rising in terms of timing. However, the Hero Wars happen in a lot of places, so that will be 1618-25 as one clan sees it.

But I am actively pitching projects that push the Hero Wars story forward, and looking at Moon Designs announcements, such as Harreksaga, more is being done to really tackle this than at any time before.

 >(I suspect the Hero Wars will never be playable in the sense they were originally intended. Its mainly due to the cult structure and its lack of a moral centre - theists do what their gods do, nothing more. Fire fights Storm because that's the >way its always been done. If your god is a windy teenage anarchist or a death dealing denizen of Death (TM) then you got to be like them. No choice. Until we destroy the gods. I'd buy that module ...)

We're working on ways to show how the Hero Wars change the world. You WILL change the world and be faced with new moral choices in The Coming Storm. But yes, we are keen to show how this happens.

>Let women worship Orlanth again, like we used to do in Pavis.

That's pretty much the change that was made in S:KoH. Women worship Orlanth again, men can worship Ernalda. The cult is the same, Vinga and Nandan are just names for how. If you're not sure of that change it bears re-reading.

Ian