Re: Dara Happan Beards

From: Neil Hempenstall <neilhemp_at_e7jjkoGIIZtmsgBwV5u3NRfYP9o0YKDaqEucZxOe2ZrJ9ROiwCgVFeePOZvXhofARWA>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 03:05:15 -0700 (PDT)

What! Dara Happan's have beards???

From: newtiswrong <mrnewt_at_B-MhwKCAJztzi7luDLqje4kmZI2V40o5BtNxkBflP_YNxqBglkjdnVfIdis3_ldR2bm2SXK6xvDhTss.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Dara Happan Beards
To: ImmoderateGloranthaQuest_at_yahoogroups.com Received: Wednesday, 8 June, 2011, 12:53 PM

Hi all,

One thing that really upsets me about the current state of Glorantha, is the depiction of Beards in Dara Happa.

It has no basis in fact and overall the length of them just rubbs my goat. Certain things worry me, and make me feel inadequate about portraying Dara Happan beards in my games. For example are there jewellers who sell beard rings? As for the possible existance of magical rune beard rings, well you can see my dilema. I might be able to gloss over it in a convention game, where I'm never going to see the players again and embarrassment is not an issue, but not in my ongoing home campaign where my sharp and perceptive players would pull me up about it.

What about Dara Happan women and beards? Do they have them? If they do they shave them. Do we make assumptions based upon real world cultures? If this is the case are the published sources based upon the experiences of the authors here? I am not implying here that the women of the author's aqquanitance are bearded, just that being western white males to a man it is probably culturally true that should a woman of that culture see but a whisker of hair and out comes the razor. While somepeople may feel that this touches on uncomfatable gender issues, I feel that we must be brave and seek the answers and not just 'fudge it' like we did with the "Do Dwarf women have beards" issue (answer no, because in Glorantha there are no Dwarf women : ref: Dwarfs - Guide to the Mostali, Mongoose Publishing 1969 Prof Lawrence Witaker).

I thought this would be the most appropriate list to post on, because the World of Glorantha list is full of people who don't like me and make me feel inaddequate. You lot seem nice and friendly (and are much clever to boot) :)

Love and Lollipops

:P NEWT [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]