Deliberate Obscurantists

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_f5ViM8yo7uxZFGdGkNlmal9PxBYujuh5TimrwAHo58CnR8LHFy9yLbuLoTx65efpGq7>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 00:30:25 +0800

Was reading a 1990 revision of O.R. Gurney's The Hittites*, (1700-1200 BC) and the following excerpt struck a chord.

" The characteristic god of the Hittite Anatolia is the Weather-god, for in
contrast to the torrid plains of Mesopotamia this is a land of clouds and storms.we find his cult associated with a very large number of Cities.

In Syrian art he often stands alone , wielding an axe and a symbolic flash of lightning; in Anatolia itself he drives in a primitive chariot drawn by bulls over the heads of personified mountains.In mythology the weather god figures as the slayer of the dragon Illuyankas." I get the impression that this type of figure appears in later Eastern Mediterranean cultures.

Orlanthi in the Book of Sartar are quoted as:

"The Orlanthi are a hardy people with black, brown, or reddish hair, and
olive skin. Their eyes are green, brown, grey or orange. Men and women grow their hair long; men often grow beards and mustaches. Women's hair is usually uncovered and can be worn loose, braided or tied up in a bun. Women and, to a lesser extent, men, use kohl and other pigments to outline their eyes and lips.
Both genders are tattooed with markings of clan, cult initiation and other symbols of magical importance."

So are my Orlanthi now, and always have been, Ancient Turks/Syrians/Iraqi's? Anybody read Nick Brooks 8th thing he hates about Glorantha.

My general reason for raising this in this forum, is I am getting the increasing impression that canon is pushing 3rd Age Glorantha towards a technological/cultural (as much as one can within a world of Magic) level equivalent to 1000 to 500 BC RW. Why?

In "Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part 1" the armoured dude opposite Esrolia is straight out of a Hittite Osprey Book I have looked at.

A cheap reply is the ubiquitous**** YGWV, but this is a cop out and does not tell me why they are pushing this...do we all prefer this? Oh..really..erm Sorry.my bad.

Accepting 8th Century BC, it seems to me to completely ruin general thoughts Age and 1st Age even more difficult. The old "Broken Council Guidebook's" art seemed to suggest RW 8th Century BC, which I had no problem accepting for 1st Age.

Was Herestol some primitive RW hunter gatherer, equivalent to a Papua New Guinean tribesman complete with birds of paradise feathers & penis sheath? Slain by a Brithini Cro-Magnon who didn't like the sound of that hollow log music compared with his belting a rock***** with his trusty club.

Moon designs "Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part 1 & 2" by my read seemed to have a lot of " What X is not:." X = Orlanthi, Malkioni etc. It does try to give a feel for what the cultures are (because I simply don't know about the cultures referenced). Not having any background in Anthropology (let alone a PhD) they just confuse (me anyways).

My 3rd Age Sartar is like Asterix & Obelix. My West is Dark Ages. My Pent is Mongol, My Ralios is Italian City States. My Lunars are Byzantine Rome falling to chaos. NFI what Esrolia or Dara Happans are like? Any _simple_ ideas?

Why do you think Moon Design is pushing it this way? Glorantha seems to be drawn along by anthropologists that like esoterica. Do I have to read the 12 volumes of The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion (-d4 San) + numerous eastern orientated anthro texts to work out what is going on. Confused.

Now whoevers left can fuck off!

Sean

%%% I hate _Loper_ people..WTF?