Re: Deliberate Obscurantists

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_0kAhQyD89Gdc5LHipqT0A1WGbQpj7LJbrluoOXXcBpQL8bmiAEwpjn5J0A8jTiUSTMp>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:01:05 +0000

Sean Foster wrote:

> My general reason for raising this in this forum, is I am getting the
> increasing impression that canon is pushing 3rd Age Glorantha towards a
> technological/cultural (as much as one can within a world of Magic) level
> equivalent to 1000 to 500 BC RW. Why?

As Richard says, it's probably seen as a return to the original vision. Although how meaningful that is for places such as the West, which have always been portrayed rather differently in the readily available published sources (don't know about early stuff like WF), is another matter.

> A cheap reply is the ubiquitous**** YGWV, but this is a cop out and
> does not
> tell me why they are pushing this...do we all prefer this?

I think it's a fair statement that not all of all us prefer all of this. On the other hand, some people clearly do (and I don't just mean those actually writing the stuff!) What the proportions are, I have no idea - and I rather doubt anyone else does, either.

> Accepting 8th Century BC, it seems to me to completely ruin general
> thoughts

Well, yeah, and I suspect that's deliberate :(

> Moon designs "Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part 1 & 2" by my read
> seemed to have a lot of " What X is not:." X = Orlanthi, Malkioni etc. It
> does try to give a feel for what the cultures are (because I simply don't
> know about the cultures referenced). Not having any background in
> Anthropology (let alone a PhD) they just confuse (me anyways).

I don't think they're great summaries, no. In fairness, Kingdom of Heroes was rather clearer about what was intended, and does a pretty good job of explaining things.

> My 3rd Age Sartar is like Asterix & Obelix. My West is Dark Ages. My Pent
> is Mongol, My Ralios is Italian City States. My Lunars are Byzantine Rome
> falling to chaos. NFI what Esrolia or Dara Happans are like? Any _simple_
> ideas?

Canonically, I don't think there are any simple answers. But, throwing canon to the wind, the Esrolians are feminist Orlanthi, so modify the Sartarites accordingly. The Dara Happans did, in some early artwork, look rather like ancient Greeks - which makes sense if your Lunars are (like mine) kind of Roman.

> Why do you think Moon Design is pushing it this way?

I can only imagine that they find this to be more interesting to write about and play in than the 'simpler' versions, and assume that their audience feels the same way. They may even be right - I don't have any hard data either way.

> Glorantha seems to be
> drawn along by anthropologists that like esoterica. Do I have to read the
> 12 volumes of The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion (-d4 San) +
> numerous eastern orientated anthro texts to work out what is going on.

I doubt that's the intent. Matter of opinion as to whether it's the result, I guess.

> ** If Moondesign quotes "neo-platonistic hindu kabala" shit one my time,

Quite. But then, I'm biased :)

Richard:
> That said I think Sean's point about what the first and second Ages
> were like if this is what the Third Age is like is a fair one.
In the real world, the Bronze Age lasted at least 2,000 years, depending on definitions and, more importantly, on locality. Only 1,600 years separate the Dawn from the Hero Wars (and they're shorter years, at that), so I don't really see that as a problem. And, as you say, magic might have slowed technological and cultural progression.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/