Re: Deliberate Obscurantists

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_5rf1R4sWyVR2ygu9L4MF6dlgKgZI1bNO4Yw8eEvpbOnzaNFE_6ldidUnc5zzoNrEB-k>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:20:36 +1300

On 1/7/2012 5:30 AM, Sean Foster wrote:
> My general reason for raising this in this forum, is I am getting the
> increasing impression that canon is pushing 3rd Age Glorantha towards a
> technological/cultural (as much as one can within a world of Magic) level
> equivalent to 1000 to 500 BC RW. Why?

Because it was described that way as far back as RQII? I've always felt from the examples that an Iron Age feel would be better (ie 500 BC to 500 AD).

> Accepting 8th Century BC, it seems to me to completely ruin general thoughts

I wouldn't call one author's writings on the Book of Joy to be "general thoughts". Even without the recent material contradicting it, there was still large parts that don't feel right. I blame Issaries at the time for allowing him too much lattitude and not enough guidance in making stuff up (for other evidence, see Imperial Lunar Handbook, Under the Red Moon etc)

> If not making the imagining of 2nd
> Age and 1st Age even more difficult. The old "Broken Council Guidebook's"
> art seemed to suggest RW 8th Century BC, which I had no problem accepting
> for 1st Age.

A general answer would be that Glorantha was far more conservative with the technology. The general technology the gloranthans have now is pretty much the same technology they had in the first age (with a few specific exceptions such as stirrups).

> My 3rd Age Sartar is like Asterix& Obelix. My West is Dark Ages. My Pent
> is Mongol, My Ralios is Italian City States. My Lunars are Byzantine Rome
> falling to chaos.

My Pent is Attila and the Scythians.

My Lunar Empire is the Selucids.

> NFI what Esrolia or Dara Happans are like? Any _simple_ ideas?

The Esrolians is Asterix's Gaul where the rulers are Impedimenta and Bacteria (Unhygenix's wife) rule.

Dara Happa is Asterix's Egypt being lorded over by these Crazy Lunars.

--Peter Metcalfe