Re: Digest Number 1314

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_70N5CphCWBx_gtJve_KctwlqkNgjtgiF2rPKKxgy7linwC1BvKPp0xLwg4bbcVzXN>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:00:37 +0200

Il 20/04/2012 10.58, ImmoderateGloranthaQuest_at_yahoogroups.com ha scritto:
> There is 1 message in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
> 1a. Re: WoG vs Moon Design's forums
> From: Tim
>

> Message
> 1a. Re: WoG vs Moon Design's forums
> Posted by: "Tim" tim_at_5BKBsvojKRKKqs1rXjC3jAdcClFZ6NZ-2a5D6qjrtlTQxji_7KZ2K1kBQWCXlSJm2i66ivnAcXFCFxJ0g_h5VNA.yahoo.invalid t_m_ellis
> Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 am ((PDT))
>

>> The older hands here will remember the birth of World of Glorantha, and the issues that accompanied it. Some list-members might seek to diminish these issues--variably on account of wise circumspection, toadying, emotional obliviousness and/or good-natured ignorance*--but they did exist. The situation wasn't entirely amicable.
>>
> There is a difference between moving between one mailing list server and another, where although the details might vary, the basic functionality remains broadly the same, and moving between a mailing list and a forum, where the two products work in widely different ways. I would have no objection to Moon Design moving the Mailing List if they were replacing it with something that provided the same functionality, but they are taking several steps backwards and claiming it is an improvement

Honestly, I really prefer the forum format. Contents may not end up into your mailbox automatically, but it is way more useable, and it is easier to follow long-lasting discussions. This was one of the reasons why I saluted the coming of WoG with joy, even if I loved the old Glorantha digest.

Other lists I subscribe to (Alternate Earth, BRP) are in fact 1% as active as the corresponding forums. And this is not due to lack of interest, as their owners are rather active here or in the HeroQuest and RuneQuest communities. It is just that, in the end, it is way more convenient to post on the forums rather than using the ML.