Re: Digest Number 1314

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_QAIbMQysDFoFemvONTdTxsJxfQwIogtZ_fR41M-QIfX6HT_a57CtgmzXU3mOzDuDzFo>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:25:30 -0000

Paolo Guccione:

> Honestly, I really prefer the forum format. Contents may not end up
> into your mailbox automatically, but it is way more useable, and it
> is easier to follow long-lasting discussions. This was one of the
> reasons why I saluted the coming of WoG with joy, even if I loved
> the old Glorantha digest.

Sometimes it is nice not to have to trawl the forums. I have to limit myself to a few forums otherwise I'd spend all my time on them.

> Other lists I subscribe to (Alternate Earth, BRP) are in fact 1% as
> active as the corresponding forums. And this is not due to lack of
> interest, as their owners are rather active here or in the HeroQuest
> and RuneQuest communities. It is just that, in the end, it is way
> more convenient to post on the forums rather than using the ML.

One reason why groups such as Alternate Earth are useful is that they are members only and can host files that, perhaps, shouldn't be on a public site.

One of the reasons why I prefer forums is that people don't replay to a digest email and add one line and include the whole of the digest.

But, have you seen the Moon Design forums? Compare them to, say, the forums at BRP Central, Mongoose or RPG.NET and see what I mean. They look tacky, the idea of posts being indented as you go along is absolutely awful. There doesn't seem to be a new Posts button. They just don't look very good and lack basic functionality, in my opinion.

And being the only place that Greg, Jeff or Rick post isn't a good reason for me to look at the forum. I get more inspiration from other people than them. If I want official information I'll buy the supplements.

See Ya

Simon