Re: WoG vs Moon Design's forums

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:24:44 -0000

David Cake :

> I make no judgement as to whether Rick, Jeff, Greg etc intended the death of the Glorantha Digest (I honestly don't remember that much about it now) - but I think if they did not, they were naive to think that effectively duplicating its function, then appointing the new one as the preferred option, would have any other result. This could indicate a somewhat ruthless way of dealing with the communities preferred means of communication, or it could indicate some lack of understanding of the dynamics of online media, or it could indicate both.

Or it could in fact indicate sod all.

FWIW every 6-9 months or so I entertain the the notion of renaming this list as "The Glorantha Digest".

hrm

Don't think Graham would be pleased if I did !!!

Really though, the only community purpose of this list is to provide people with a place to let their shirt off, and sod the politics.

> > Moon Design has been relatively ruthless in its centralised approach to Gloranthan publishing in recent years.

FFS what a load of shit. (not David, I think ?)

> I'd prefer it if the community--by whatever means, tacit or otherwise; sugar-coat it as we must--was forced to move to a new venue. I'm sure quite a few people will complain. I'm also sure that most of them will move.

This is a cyclical conversation, it comes back round to Full Moon every so-and-so.

pf !!

> Here is the thing.
> Sure, if they shut down WoG and force us to move to the forums I'll try to follow what happens on the forums.
> But I won't participate as actively on the forums, or follow what goes on as fully, because actually, forums are generally badly designed for that, and these forums are partiicularly bad for that.
> Forums are, actually, as a point of design, ideal for situations where you want to skim the headers and NOT read most of what is there. They are brilliant for that. They work well for all sorts of situations where there is a big sprawling conversation where you are interested in a small percentage of the threads that are there (which is a good fit for a lot of product support uses, for example, where people only want to read the thread that solves their problem). I don't think that describes how most of us interact - I think most of us read at least the majority of threads on the list, if not the majority of messages.
> Note that the people saying they liked forums on the WoG list were saying they liked forums *because they made it easier to skim*. Forums are preferred by people who like to mildly engage. I'm not sure that that is a good fit for the core of the community.

Thank you for expressing these concerns so eloquently !!! (and given which list you've posted to --- so immoderately !!!

de somewhat and kind of but not really perhaps if you're drunk and think about it, possibly, one day --- Immod