Re: WoG vs Moon Design's forums

From: Stewart <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:09:14 -0000

Julian:
> But there has to be a clear difference between professionally
> produced Gloranthan publications and fan materials -- that
> distinction was blurred beyond recognition in the early HW period...

I fully agree and have made this point previously.

> and it's just pure vanity to imagine that things were better back
> then simply because it was simultaneously easier to get published,
> and easier to have a massive project "supported" with no real
> guarantee of actual publication at the end of the day.

But nowhere have I suggested this. Read the argument I made, Julian. Not the one you think I made based on a nested quote in somebody else's reply.

> Calling Moon Design "ruthless" and "centralised" OTOH is just cack.

Moon Design went from a situation wherein their output, real and potential, was provided by diverse third-party authors and project leaders--Mark G, Martin L and Wesley (Under the Red Moon); Jeff K (Blood Over Gold; Mark G et al. (Champions of the Reaching Moon); Shannon (Aldryami); Jamie (the Western books); and Martin L (the Sea adventure series, The Lure and the Dread project)--to a situation wherein their output was led by a sole lead who had become co-publisher: Jeff (Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes), Jeff (Sartar Companion) and Jeff (Pavis).

=> This is creative centralisation.

In eschewing the older publications model to adopt their new strategy, Moon Design said to certain authors working under the old framework--however politely--"Sorry, guys, this won't work, we've got to move on." Over the years those authors had been encouraged and/or solicited to write hundreds of thousands of words and spent a lot of time and effort doing so.

=> This is rather ruthless.

You seem to think I mention these terms by way of disapproval. While I've occasionally made objections to the way certain elements were handled (here, actually), I'm broadly supportive of the process and think it had to be done.

Don't like me? Fine. Don't like the way I make a point? Fine.

But don't argue against the patently fucking obvious.