Re: Sandy Petersen's Kickstarter

From: Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:49:18 +0100

Sandy via Guy:
>There is no risk for you really – if the kickstarter doesn‘t earn enough
>money for us to launch the project, ALL your cash is returned to you.

Of course there is risk. One recent computer game kickstarter ran out of money and all the developers left the company. So if the kickstarter fund turn out not to be enough, but much of it gets spent before this is realised, then it can still fail. Some kickstarters are just raising the publishing costs for something that is already a functioning product, in which case the risk is minimal, but with a computer game a much higher proportion of the cost is in the development and so you can't really do that.

So when you back a kickstarter, especially for a computer game, you have to accept that risk. That's why a lot of kickstarters get backed by friends and fans of the starter, like with this one and Robin's Hillfolk.

Do I trust Sandy to know enough about the computer games industry and to produce a great Cthulhu game? Damn right I do.

Phil.

--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?