Re: Couple of problems (bugs or my stupidy?)

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:42:17 -0500

Nils Brobakk wrote:

> From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>
>
> Jeff said:
> > >Is there a way to increase your chance of getting new advisors
> > > (other than spending magic on Heroism, which I always do)?
> >
> > Spend Magic on Children when they say 'Children born this
> > year will have Great Destinies' That usually generates one or two.
>
> Hm, never had that one... :(
>
> > Also, spending points on Heroism helps generate heroes --
> > though I can't quite work out the mechanism.
>
> Seems fairly random to me. I consistently spend 2 points on Heroism,
> occasionally someone turns Heroic (3 or 4 people in 25-30 years). Doesn't
> seem to affect the number of new leaders much, new ones appear at just about
> the same rate as my old ones die, and I'm left with 17-18 or thereabouts
> (half of them for deities I don't have much use for... :)

It also pumps up the leaders you have already. And it means that the young leaders you just got will be INCREDIBLE when they mature. Remember, the main problem with winning this game is taking the long term view and suriviving long enough to harvest your planning.

> > I seem to stabalize in the 20-something
> > range for nobles when I sacrifice 1-2 points per year (if you
> > are low on nobles, the rest of the ring will start begging for you to
> > sacrifice for Heroes)
>
> Don't think I've seen this one either...

If you get low on leaders, they will start commenting on it! Eventually, they stop.

> > Don't forget to sacrifice to a deity during the course of the
> > year too... Just to influence who the new noble might choose.
>
> Ah... Especially if you're desperate for a new Eurmal worshipper? ;)

Yeah, I've actually had my Trickster get an apprentice that way... or at least, I got one right soon after he died (she may have been there for a while)

> What exactly do the heroquests that will 'strengthen your clan leaders' (or
> similar) do? Do they improve the abilities of your leaders? If so, is this
> an immediate effect, or does it apply over time?

Somewhat, yes. They may just get a bonus on doing things for few years. I know that when I do the Elmal quest for that, things seem to go much more smoothly for the next long while.

> I hate it when a leader fails a quest and their ability goes down... :( Is
> there a way to remedy this?

Not that I know of. Don't fail.... But that's a trite answer, I know. ;{(

Jeff