RE: Re: heroquests; exploring

From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:51:45 -0000

David Dunham <david_at_...> said:

> > similar) do? Do they improve the abilities of your leaders?
> > If so, is this an immediate effect, or does it apply over time?
>
> It's an immediate increase (though not always of a full point).

Ah, so there is a point system. :) I was wondering how leaders with the same skill level got arranged in the reorganize screen (I noticed them changing order without anyone changing skill level...)

> More frequent exploration can make things slightly safer, but Dragon
> Pass is a dangerous place, and it's quite possible to never return
> (even on your own tula, which after all you've only lived on for a
> dozen years). Slower exploration is safer.
>
> I assume you're paying attention to the omens and not
> exploring in a bad year.
>
> God-talkers of Vinga or Issaries make better explorers.

When they're available, yes. But I like keeping 2 Issarians at home (one on the ring, and one for less important trading and diplomacy missions), and what few Vingans and Odalyans I have tend to go missing... :)

I think what I've been doing wrong is sending people out at normal speed, too far into unknown territory, and during Storm season. I'll be a bit more careful next time...

> (It's unfortunate that they never come back to tell their story,
> because there are all kinds of great reasons why not. Eaten by trolls
> is probably a big one. Dragons are another threat.)

Hm. I guess this is what makes losing explorers so frustrating, they just vanish without a trace. If you lose a leader in battle, at least you know what happened (and you can blame yourself for telling him to "take insane risks"... :).

It would be nice to have one or two explorers return ("We were ambushed by trolls, Kallyr and all the thanes were slain, I only escaped by pretending to be dead..."), or having someone else (traders who visit your clan) bring news, or having whoever killed them return their heads and demand ransom... Perhaps something for a future version?

NH.