False alarm?

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 06:11:25 -0800 (PST)

I'd had a good year, become king of the tribe, finally completed the Orlanth and Aroka heroquest, beaten around my last remaining enemy clan enough that the feud seems to be officially ended without my having to do anything. The next year I was quietly putting my house in order, getting ready for the future challenges, happy to see I could assign two points of destiny magic a turn, when, well, I'll just cut and paste from the chronical:

"A woman called Saraska Bright-Eyes came to us and
said she would unify the tribes of Dragon Pass. We conducted a divination. The god-talkers said that the omens surrounding Saraska Bright-Eyes were good. She might well be the subject of the prophecies about a true kingdom of Orlanth in Dragon Pass."

I trusted the divination--I have a heroic magician on the ring and had ten current magic at the time.

In short order, I convinced one other tribal king to join the kingdom, then the game said a third had agreed and took me right to king making. Let me cut and paste from the chronicle again:

"The time came for Saraska�s Crown Test. We sacrificed
to the gods so that the candidate might perform well in the rite of kingship.

Saraska was killed attempting her Crown Test. Orstanor declared that he would rule in Saraska�s place, and proclaimed that he would kill anyone who said otherwise. We fought against Orstanor�s warriors. Our warriors struck deep into their ranks, and drove them from the field. We hit some of them as they fled. Orstanor was forced to flee, and the kingdom he sought to rule was never born. "

Since I haven't seen the feathered horse queen yet I'm guessing this was a false alarm, but I'm wondering if the event can actually result in a kingdom getting formed, or is it doomed to failure? i.e. what if I had supported the upsurber Orstanor?

I'm thinking that using up the rumbling clod of earth from Maran Gor at this point may have been a waste too. Ah well, it seemed like a major crisis at the time.

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com