Spoiler! Re: False alarm?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:26:51 -0500

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>
> I'd had a good year, become king of the tribe, finally
> completed the Orlanth and Aroka heroquest, beaten
> around my last remaining enemy clan enough that the
> feud seems to be officially ended without my having to
> do anything. The next year I was quietly putting my
> house in order, getting ready for the future
> challenges, happy to see I could assign two points of
> destiny magic a turn, when, well, I'll just cut and
> paste from the chronical:
>
> "A woman called Saraska Bright-Eyes came to us and
> said she would unify the tribes of Dragon Pass. We
> conducted a divination. The god-talkers said that the
> omens surrounding Saraska Bright-Eyes were good. She
> might well be the subject of the prophecies about a
> true kingdom of Orlanth in Dragon Pass."
>
> I trusted the divination--I have a heroic magician on
> the ring and had ten current magic at the time.

Yep. Well, she's... um... well...

Doomed.

> In short order, I convinced one other tribal king to
> join the kingdom, then the game said a third had
> agreed and took me right to king making. Let me cut
> and paste from the chronicle again:

Yep. That's how it goes. TOO fast, isn't it? Doesn't it make you worry?

> "The time came for Saraska�s Crown Test. We sacrificed
> to the gods so that the candidate might perform well
> in the rite of kingship.
>
> Saraska was killed attempting her Crown Test. Orstanor
> declared that he would rule in Saraska�s place, and
> proclaimed that he would kill anyone who said
> otherwise. We fought against Orstanor�s warriors. Our
> warriors struck deep into their ranks, and drove them
> from the field. We hit some of them as they fled.
> Orstanor was forced to flee, and the kingdom he sought
> to rule was never born. "
>
> Since I haven't seen the feathered horse queen yet I'm
> guessing this was a false alarm, but I'm wondering if
> the event can actually result in a kingdom getting
> formed, or is it doomed to failure? i.e. what if I
> had supported the upsurber Orstanor?
>
> I'm thinking that using up the rumbling clod of earth
> from Maran Gor at this point may have been a waste
> too. Ah well, it seemed like a major crisis at the
> time.
>
> --Bryan

Its a crisis. But you don't get tribal combat often so the Clod's not as useful as it might be. However, if you look at Saraska's questing, there's some clues to becoming a SUCCESSFUL King claimant.

Jeff