Re: apocalypses; enemies; Finland

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:43:19 -0800

> the game simply announced that the beast
> people had raided in overwhelming force, wiping out
> most of the tribe, destroying all our fortifications,
> and driving off most of our cattle. I was left with
> two people on the ring, 300 odd clansfolk, and about
> half that many cattle.

Yes, there are several ways to lose the game. Each of them is preceded by some sort of warning, and is always precipitated by your actions.

Is it fair that you don't get to stop the apocalypse? Here, you're going against a true hero, Ironhoof, and pretty much every beastfolk warrior from Beast Valley and the rest of Dragon Pass (and remember that they've had 200 years to thrive). The attack is not on the scale of normal warfare.

> What about the others? (What form does the enemity of
> the lord of the Salty Sea take anyway?) Does any of
> the others have benefits like the son of Valind has?

Comments here have pretty much covered it. There's a treasure that gives you benefits if you hate the trolls (not the Bagpipes). Not every enemy has a corresponding direct benefit (like the ability to raid in winter). On the other hand, some of them are more tolerant than the Beastfolk.

> I found that after selecting "kill as many as
> possible" regularly with the trolls, that the number
> of dark trolls that showed up began to decrease. I
> guess they can't recruit dark trolls as fast as I can
> recruit weaponthanes.

Yes. While there is in fact more than one troll clan (a fact many people tend to forget -- there's more than one Horse-Spawn clan, too), we do track numbers. And over the long run, their numbers replenish more slowly (since Dragon Pass is slowly filling up and they're losing more land).

> My grandfather's parent were Finn's who homesteaded in
> norther Ontario around the turn of the century,
> eventually moving from subsistence farming to having a
> dairy farm, a situation with certain parrelels to the
> re-settlement of Dragon Pass, so they are the model
> for the tribe I'm playing right now.

For what it's worth, KoDP is selling extremely well in Finland.