[fluff] 1333: All of the omens were unlucky

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:52:11 -0800 (PST)

"1333

All of the omens were unlucky. "

That's the final line in my clan saga right now.

After a couple of disastrous attempts, I've finally gotten a clan through the first few years on the hard game in decent shape. I wasn't sure we'd pull through that first year, when the god talkers foresaw a poor harvest, and a battle in the upcoming year--with us with no fortifications and nobody with combat better than "very good." But we survived all the raids and managed to avoid starvation the next year and succeeded in a heroquest and generally get past that first highly vulnerable phase in decent shape. Granted, we only have about 650 cattle right now, food is a bit tight, and we only have a couple of dozen goods, but we have no feuds and few clans dislike us, our fortifications are good enough to somewhat limit the damage when we are raided, our magic is still in good shape, and we're slowly getting a few useful blessing in place. You know, that point where you begin to feel that you aren't in danger of immediate destruction, you just need to start reversing the slow erosion of your fortunes. Lauch a few raids that actually turn out succesful, have some trades work out in your favor, do some exploring and have the explorers not only come back alive but with treasures, maybe even use a few of our meager store of goods to succesfully sacrifice for blessings that lead to wealth, not just help keep you alive. You know, take some calculated gambles and get a couple of breaks.

My lunch break was just about done, but I figured I'd get to the sacred time before saving the game for next week. I quickly skipped over the part about how we had more people and less cattle than last year, and went to the next screen.

"All of the omens were unlucky."

*sigh* It's a hard world the Blue Snake clan lives in.  I hope they hold on in there until Monday.

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com