Re: A proto-faq

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:44:29 -0500

Nils Brobakk wrote:

> From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>

> > > I've never managed to get this to work either, I've tried
> > it on both Mac and PC...
> >
> > Nor I. And hitting f1 is bad. Very bad.
>
> Maybe it only works in older versions of the game?

I will check my old Beta disk.

> > It happens. Its rare and it doesn't happen when you've thoroughly
> > epxlored your tula. Or at least, I've never had it happen to me when
> > I've completely explored the place (found a half dozen things or so)
>
> That's exactly what happened to me - I'd explored and found lots of stuff
> (damn rubble runners! :), my ancestors insisted there was more, and off they
> disappeared!

Wow. I'm shocked and disquieted. I'll have to be a bit less cavalier about sending off expeditions to my homeland. (That sounds odd... sort of like thta Pavic-Pavic dictionary in Murphy's Rules)

I useually send all available thanes and 30 farmers in Storm season. They get back before any raids and THAT nuumber of folks (Weaponthanes count 5) usually overwhelms any problems...

> [Heroquesting]
>
> > Ring members have a better chance. And the best chance is
> > given to your noble with the best magic. Often wise to put him on the
> ring.
>
> I have a hunch that says the quester needs at least Very Good in Magic to
> have a half-decent chance of succeding, and Very Good in Combat is a must to
> survive any attacks (which occur in pretty much every quest). Hence, the
> earliest clan event that gives your leaders higher magic skills seems
> desirable.

Very good's about the minimum I use. Good only in Extremis and ONLY if they have high levels of other, useful skills (Leadership for Making the Storm Tribe. Combat for Humakt, etc.) Or if I have no other choice.

Sometimes, you just don't have a choice.

> Any opinions of the advantages/disadvantages of the different events? The
> hundred day hunt (I think?) gives your leaders better Animals, Plants, and
> Combat - seems a bit unfair...
>
> Someone mentioned that you should try to quest in the season appropriate to
> the deity... I tried Orlanth and Aroka in Storm season (Orlanth being the
> storm god and all) - Boy, what a mistake! :)

This does help a bit. And doing something appropriate to that deity in the last year is good too.

Defending successfully against a raid (Elmal) Cattle Raiding (Orlanth)
Raiding (Humakt)
NOT Raiding (Chalana Arroy -- she's such a baby!) Not sure about Uralda but trading/raiding for Cattle might help.

Possibly the appropriate magics for that god would help as well -- eg maximum Herd Magic in Sacred time as well as preparations.

> > > Ooh, which treasures??
> >
> > Heort's Stone (but only in desperation) and certain other items that
> > will pop up, especialy if you are having terrible luck at questing.
>
> Once I was unable to enter the realm of the gods year after year after year.
> Had the trickster from a clan I was feuding come to make fun of me...

This happens.

And try to lay off breaching the Hero Plane so often. Wait 2-3 years and things will settle down. If you have the opportnity. And continue to sacrifice the Quest magic, that might help, if you can spare it.

> > This is true. And spending magic on children may also
> > generate a better
> > chance of nobles. I've not sat down and tracked this.
>
> I tried this once, it didn't seem to make any difference. But it could just
> be that I wasn't paying enough attention...

I wasn't sure. Some folks may be checking that...

> > > Which treasure? Where can I get this? Waant!! ;)
> >
> > Orlanth's rattle. It is hard to get but it will give a greater chance
> > of heroes in your youngsters.
>
> Cool! So how/where can I find it?

All Treasures except the REALLY cool ones (Humakt's Banner, eg) can be gotten from trading with local clans. Its differnet every time and more difficult each time you try with that clan. BUT they are usually able to part with them for a goodly sum.

Orlanth's Rattle is VERY hard to get though. Pity you can't steal them but that WOULD make the game too easy.

> > Ancestors protect against ghosts and spirit attacks very well.
>
> Except if the ghosts are your ancestors, of course! ;)

Gee, if you have a shrine to them, they seem to like you... Funny that (grin)

> Some other handy shrines (for starters):
> Elmal (Steadfast), Orlanth (Woad), Maran Gor (Earthblood) if you have lots
> of trouble with raiders.
> Issaries (Slivertounge), Lhankhor Mhy (can't remember the name of the
> blessing, the one that isn't Clan Lore or Lawspeaker), and Humakt (Oath)

Literacy.

> once you've got your own clan up and running and start improving relations
> with your neighbors and think about starting a tribe...
> And obviously Vinga (Pathfinder) and Odayla (Tracking?) before you go
> exploring.

Tracking. I use Thunderstone and Surshot and a LOT of hunters. Skirmishing my clan is a very unpleasant experience. And skirmishing is often your best option against HorseSpawn as they are so blasted mobile.

> But it really does depend on your exact situation and your playing style...
> The possibilities are endless.

> > > Or all of them. :) I tend to build all 6 Great Temples as
> > soon as I can, and
> > > whatever other shirnes and temples I can support...
> >
> > Eeep. No wonder you run out of sheep.
>
> Heheh... :)
>
> With a Great Temple to Issaries, maximum number of trading parters, and
> maximum number of crafters, I can bring in 300-350 cows worth of good per
> year, maybe more. I can *afford* to buy the 150 sheep I need for sacrifices
> every year.

Yeah, me too. But it does bother me a bit and with the game being cd based, anytyhing that slows down the game with an extra Year Start screeen is bad.

> And don't forget that having a Great Temple not only increases your
> reputation among other clans, it also gives you an extra point of magic. In
> my last game, I had 50+ points of magic every sacred time, I just couldn't
> get rid of it all. Ended up spending 3 points on quests every year, just in
> case something would come up that required a quest... :)

50? How did you manage that?

> > > Kero Fin. Tarsh.
> >
> > Quivin is very good for starters. That is the question. Kero Fin is
> > dangerous for beginners. Especially as some of the
> > intervening terrian is QUITE nasty.
>
> Hm, never had much trouble exploring Kero Fin, as long as the leader is of a
> decent quality. The results might not be great, but I think I've only had an
> expedition disappear completely once (I expect if they disappear, it's
> because they've been swept away to a distant battle and don't make it
> back...) Plus, you can get some nice shrines.

Kero Fin can be a problem if you are unprepared. But you could be right. And those Spirit Warrors are INCREDIBLE. Equivalent of 40 thanes showing up to kick some butt.

> NH.

Jeff