Re: Re: tribal promises; FAQ

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:51:54 -0500

David Dunham wrote:

> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>
> > Have the tribe-making negotiations have more effect
> > on play afterwards. ... when other clans
> > promise to to provide weaponthanes, either they
> > appeared and I never noticed, or they never showed
> > up...
>
> You never noticed -- the code is there.

I noticed. I seem to have more warriors on raids and defence than I expected.

And yes, when you are king, you seem to have a LOT more magic to throw around. Good thing I got them to do that.

> Almost all of the promises (i.e. giving magic) are in fact part of
> the economic model.

Does the myths and Elmal magics show up as well? Not sure how that is covered.

> Bruce compiled an extensive FAQ!

Yeah! I'm stunned.

> > On the first screen of the game, press 'o' (for Opal, the game's
> > code name during development). To quote David Dunham, the
> > producer: "All the starting advisors are from the development team,
> > others are among the available leaders, and one other makes an
> > appearance within a few seasons." [I've never been able to get this
> > to work; just what is supposed to happen? If I press 'o' on the
> > opening screen, the tutorial starts.]
>
> The "Tutorial" button lights up, but it's not a tutorial game, and
> you will see Robin Laws before too long.

Okay. I will try this.

> (BTW, pretzel-shift-3 saves the screen as a PICT file on a Macintosh,
> which is generally more useful than putting it on the clipboard.)
>
> > - Named areas are the most dangerous.
>
> Not in terms of mysteriously lost exploring parties, though they may
> have their own dangers.

Yes, and they all have a thematic bent about them that makes sense. Though, frankly, I am NOT willing to find out about all the Snake Pipe Hollow encounters, sorry.

> > Shrine: Ancestors, Barntar, Maran Gor, Odayla, Vinga
>
> I thought Odayla temples were possible (I know we have an illo).

There's a corrected list in one of the other posts.

> > Wait for your old ones to die; youngsters will be along in a season
> > or two. Note that only deaths due to old age have this effect.
>
> No, if you piss off the dwarfs and they come by and shoot half your
> ring members, that would count too.

Eeep! That's bad. Never had that happen.

Not On Schedule!

> > I think that one treasure, in particular, will only appear in a troll-enemy
> > game [the iron spike].
>
> Nah, you can get it in any game (though it's not as useful if you
> don't hate trolls).

Yep.

> Let us know when there's an FAQ to link to!

Will link it to here and make it an auto-mailout to new subscribers, I think.

> David Dunham A Sharp david_at_...
> Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
> Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

Jeff