RE: A proto-faq

From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:21:17 -0000

Jeff said:
> I useually send all available thanes and 30 farmers in Storm season.
> They get back before any raids and THAT nuumber of folks (Weaponthanes
> count 5) usually overwhelms any problems...

After getting advice here the other week (thanks guys!), I've started sending them out during Sea rather than Storm season, moving slowly, and not too far into unexplored territory. This has improved my chances quite a bit, but they still disappear annoyingly often. I usually send 5 thanes and 20 footmen (more footmen if I can spare them). Maybe it's because I don't send a ring member - I put people on the ring for a reason, I can't afford to have them go away for long persiods of time, let alone go missing! ;)

> > Once I was unable to enter the realm of the gods year after
> year after year.
> > Had the trickster from a clan I was feuding come to make
> fun of me...
>
> This happens.
>
> And try to lay off breaching the Hero Plane so often. Wait 2-3 years
> and things will settle down. If you have the opportnity.
> And continue
> to sacrifice the Quest magic, that might help, if you can spare it.

If you fail to enter the godplane, your advisors don't tell you you've quested in the last couple of years, so I assumed it was okay to try again the next year...

> All Treasures except the REALLY cool ones (Humakt's Banner, eg) can be

Humakt's Banner. Hm. I tried using this a couple of times, even got a thane to pick it up without using a ring member. Won the battle with horrible losses on my side (much greater than the enemy). Talk about mixed blessing...

> gotten from trading with local clans. Its differnet every
> time and more
> difficult each time you try with that clan. BUT they are usually able
> to part with them for a goodly sum.

Hm. Guess I should try trading treasures a bit more, then. :)

> Tracking. I use Thunderstone and Surshot and a LOT of hunters.
> Skirmishing my clan is a very unpleasant experience. And
> skirmishing is
> often your best option against HorseSpawn as they are so
> blasted mobile.

I usually get away by manuvering... Actually, I do that pretty much every time if I'm defending. :)

> Yeah, me too. But it does bother me a bit and with the game being cd
> based, anytyhing that slows down the game with an extra Year Start
> screeen is bad.

Actually, on a Mac, you can play the game from the hard drive by copying all the files over to a local drive. Also, if you disable virtual memory, the hard drive spinning is greatly reduced. Game still isn't as a fast as I'd like, but that could just be my 3-year old machine... :)

> > And don't forget that having a Great Temple not only increases your
> > reputation among other clans, it also gives you an extra
> point of magic. In
> > my last game, I had 50+ points of magic every sacred time,
> I just couldn't
> > get rid of it all. Ended up spending 3 points on quests
> every year, just in
> > case something would come up that required a quest... :)
>
> 50? How did you manage that?

Not sure... King of a large tribe (9 clans at the end), all 6 Great Temples, succesful hero quests... I guess I was just generally good at following my ancestors... :)

Had enough magic to patch the Elmali heroquester back together with magic 3 times (for a total of 15 points... :)

> Kero Fin can be a problem if you are unprepared. But you could be
> right. And those Spirit Warrors are INCREDIBLE. Equivalent of 40
> thanes showing up to kick some butt.

Hm, never actually had them show up to help me... I thought this was only useful in the endgame...?

NH.