questing success

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:15:30 -0800 (PST)

This is regarding the recent postins on Orlanth & Aroka, but also applies to other quests.

It seems to me that you can have varying level of success on the quests. Sometimes you get a handful of magic points, other times bushels of them. I wonder too if the more general benefits don't have varying levels too? i.e. if you select "bring back a treasure" either you do it or you don't, but if it is "increase crop yields" or "strengthen our leaders" I wonder if the really strong success leads to more benefits.

I'd assume that the more accurately you manage to stick to the myth, the greater the benefits. hence

SPOILER SPACE Not taking all 99 blows may increase your chance of success, but may lower your success level. Also, if the "right" answer doesn't work, but another option does, I suspect that leads to a lesser level of success (i.e. on the Uralda quest, if the bulls don't just follow, but you manage to persuade them too with other words.) So, like everything else, I suspect it's a balance between the risk and the benefit.

I'm not sure whether the "extra cost" options in a few of the quests lowers your success in addition to the cost. i.e. if you pay blood to get past Ernalda's daughter, or sacrifice magic or horses to help your hero/Elmal knit himself back together.

-Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com