Spoiler Re: questing success

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:10:47 -0500

Spoiler and all that.

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>
> This is regarding the recent postins on Orlanth &
> Aroka, but also applies to other quests.

True enough.... I was not really thinking about it that way.

> It seems to me that you can have varying level of
> success on the quests. Sometimes you get a handful of
> magic points, other times bushels of them. I wonder

I find the first time I complete the quest is the greatest reward. After that, its diminishing returns and increasing difficulty. So yes, you could have something here with success being diminished with increased difficulty.

Especially if you are in a 'hardluck' heroquesting situation.

> too if the more general benefits don't have varying
> levels too? i.e. if you select "bring back a
> treasure" either you do it or you don't, but if it is
> "increase crop yields" or "strengthen our leaders" I
> wonder if the really strong success leads to more
> benefits.
>
> I'd assume that the more accurately you manage to
> stick to the myth, the greater the benefits. hence
>
> SPOILER SPACE
>
> Not taking all 99 blows may increase your chance of
> success, but may lower your success level. Also, if
> the "right" answer doesn't work, but another option
> does, I suspect that leads to a lesser level of
> success (i.e. on the Uralda quest, if the bulls don't
> just follow, but you manage to persuade them too with
> other words.) So, like everything else, I suspect
> it's a balance between the risk and the benefit.

Good observation, I like it.

> I'm not sure whether the "extra cost" options in a few
> of the quests lowers your success in addition to the
> cost. i.e. if you pay blood to get past Ernalda's
> daughter, or sacrifice magic or horses to help your
> hero/Elmal knit himself back together.
>
> -Bryan

In this case, I fear that sacrificing the lives of your clanmates is a BAD solution. It invariably gives me a negative amount of magic. You're paying deaths for life. Sortof defeats the whole point of the quest.

On a particularly badly done Ernala Feeds The Tribe (should have been Ernalda Eats Our Souls) I finished up with an amazingly bad -30 Magic. I was impressed as I went in with about 4 Magic. Oh and we lost a fistfull of clanfolk too. All in all, a BAD day in Dragon Pass.

But I think you have a valid point in danger/success level. But some quests are yes/no such as the "proper" use of the Aroka quest -- drought breaking. Any success is all.

Jeff