Re: A proto-faq

From: bjm10_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:18:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:

> > > How long do I have to hold the king/queenship to win?

> > > Ten years. Consecutive years. Ten golden years.
> >
> > Do they have to be consecutive years? I remember this being discussed a
> > while ago, can't remember the conclusion...
>
> It has to be 10 consecutive Years, you have to have most of your
> neighbors liking you AND you must have enough cattle to be considered
> 'well off' (Call it 700+)

Wrong on the third point. I won the game with a clan whose herd never climbed above 600 if I recall aright, and during the endgame portion it hovered more around 500.

Now, for food, I was rolling in it and I SHARED THE WEALTH most generously, somewhere around 1,000 food per gifting, or a mere 500 if I were planning on gifting twice in a year.

> Yes, it does. So does the Tigereye Necklace. And so does moving SLOWLY
> and not exploring too much blank space.

To ditch troublemaking nobles, send 'em off fast, without either spell. Feeding them to Cragspider is the surest way to get rid of the buggers, but one might risk trollish wrath thereby. I send 'em off to distant and unexplored areas. Either they get killed or they come back with interesting stuff or information. Either way, they're out of my hair for the duration.

> Ancestors protect against ghosts and spirit attacks very well.

Terard Riel is good if you play defensive militarily.

> SHEEP are the great limiting factor on temples. One has to conserve
> them. I only go whole hog (as it were) when I find I am ending the game
> and NEED those bonuses.

Limiting? More or less, but I've found that sound clan management allows me to pretty much buy sheep yearly, even at a bad price. Of course, when I'm having to buy sheep yearly, that means that I've got every single

> > > The Salty Sea: Floods, wiping out crops and drowning your people
> > > and herds will be a constant problem.
> >
> > You also get the weirdo who wants your help with the salmon heroquest - can
> > have very nice effects. :)
>
> He shows up anyways. Random encounter. But I *like* salmon. Floods
> will be a problem. Never actually found any plus side to this guy other
> than he's RARE in attacks.

Floods are an oppurtunity to display the Virtue of Generousity. It doesn't "make sense" if one tries to play KoDP like a bean-counter, but it can have very nice effects on your reputation.