Re: raids vs cattle raids

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:51:05 -0500

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>
> Recently I had an event where my weaponthanes came and
> complained that we hadn't raided in far too long, and
> (you can just imagine the scorn in their voice here)
> we didn't intend to ever fight anyone, maybe we should
> become a peace clan instead of a balanced one. This
> led to a number of questions....

The Stormbulls and Humakti United for a better Clan movment, eh? Good thing they aren't union...

> -As I had religiously gone on cattle raids each year,
> I was a bit surprised. I though cattle raids were how
> you kept your thanes from getting bored. Do you
> really need to raid periodically too?

A cattle raid is just a bunch of blokes going out at night (or day) and nicking some cows. Its hardly a big thing.

To keep the War Magic pumping, you have to get everyone outh there, working together. Think of it as a pioneer barn-BASHING rather than a barn raising. Cattle Raids do help with the non-boredom but they are not the endall and be-all of the warrior.

> -One of my ring said that if we didn't raid, our war
> magic would get less effective. I know the manual
> says that your war magic doesn't take effect until you
> raid, but I thought a cattle raid was good enough. Is
> it?

Nope. You have to raid every few years at a minimum (unless you are a bunch of peace-niks)

> -They are refering to the sacred time rituals here,
> not the god-specific blessings, right? (or, shudder,
> is it both that will wear thin with neglect)

And if they say that the War Magics are not effective, that means that Sacred Time magic assigned just doesn't count, magic sacrificed on an ad-hoc basis doesn't work and any bonuses provided by highly magical nobles doesn't happen (I noticed that my Heroic Magic leader wasn't getting an luck with his 'attack them using his personal magic' option at *all*...

> -Are the thanes less restive about not raiding if you
> switch to being a peace clan?
>
> --Bryan

I think so. Why not try it for a few years and see?

Jeff