Spoiler Re: 3d quest impossible?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:59:26 -0500

Hokay... I'll try and help.

Martin Crim wrote:

> From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
>
> Folks:
> I'll admit it--I am cheating. I really don't want to fail at this
> heroquest I'm trying to run. So I've run it multiple times, yet cannot
> succeed.
> Here's the deal:
> I'm playing at average difficulty. It's Storm season 1336, I have 6
> points of magic, and sacrificed 2 points for Quests last sacred time. I
> have 7 different gods represented on the ring, including Eurmal.
> I've tried to run "Orlanth and Aroka" about 9 times, with a clan chief
> whose relevant skills are: Combat--Renowned, Leadership--Renowned, and
> Magic--Renowned. I never get past the dark woman, who won't be seduced.

It may depend on the quester - the default selected may not be the best. Was your quester on the ring? That helps a lot too. Also, as was pointed out to me by soeoen else, damage is cumulative. If you 'stoically take the 99 blows meant for Orlanth' your character could be a total wreck by the time he gets to play footsie with the Dark Woman.

I found that I did not get a splendid results (buckets of magic) when I jsut fought defensively against Dagda but I was able to get by that troll-ish wench more readily.

I guess troll chicks don't dig guys covered in their own viscera.

> I should add that I've also tried to run each of the other 3 quests I
> know, without success, that I tried to run Aroka during Sea Season* and
> Fire Season without success, and that multiple attempts at running Aroka
> (and one attempt each at my other quests) the previous Storm Season failed,
> tho' I only had 1 point in Quests then and a magic of 0 so that's hardly
> surprising.
> * In sea season, I did get past the dark woman but then the dragon ate me.
> Only time that's happened; must be the time of year.

I tend to do that quest in Storm Season, as you are which is good. I've noticed a bit more success but I could be wrong.

> I'm cc:ing this to the bug report box. I HOPE it's not a feature.
>
> --Martin

Its not a bug. You may have a problem with the person you are sending. Combat is necessary for this Quest (as is Magic) but other skills may play a part -- bargain and custom for instance.

Others on the list may provide a better answer than I.

Jeff