Re: Future Plans

From: David Short <David.short_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:47:11 -0500

>I'd like to see a broader version of KoDP (ducks, trolls, praxians - or a
>mix of any clans available. Even broos and scorpionmen!

I would settle for more stories.

>On a different matter - can you produce a CD fix so that it doesn't access
>constantly? I've tried the unofficial fix, but it doesn't seem to work on
>my machine. My noisy CD is driving me crazy!
On Usenet Mr. Dunham has replied that a solution exists on the web. I've tried the solution posted at
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bjm10/KoDP/tula.html and found with some tinkering it works.

>> Is A# to the point where it can plan for future
>> Glorantha products? If it isn't a corporate secret, have they broken
>> even on KoDP yet? If not, does it look like they will? I'd imagine
>> that red ink would be a serious show stopper for new products.

I'm hoping nobody will consider this a breach of confidence. When queried via e-mail about prospects and plans, Mr. Dunham implied there may be another update/patch to kodp, they are making money, they need to make more before they can think about starting production on another product.

In my opinion...
The game has certainly been an artistic success. The reviews are positive and the award is well deserved, but given the lack of any retail distrubution in the US, I think the best A# can hope for at this point is either a small stream of word of mouth orders or to be picked up and released as budget software.

In its favor the storyboard portions of kodp will be familiar to any 4th grader. Otoh the clan growth interface may prove daunting.

I'm trying to win the long game on the hard setting without reloading. I've had several failures. I now have a stable tribe and, Orlanth willing, we will get there. It took my fourth try before I was able to stabilize a tribe on hard. Using the healer hero-quest was the only way I've been able to survive past the first 20 years.

Interestingly a couple of time I ended up accidentaly joining the colymer(?) tribe. They would come to demand goods and to avoid paying tribute or being raided I would apply for membership without giving gifts assuming they would turn me down. To my shock and horror I've been accepted a few times. Can you win the short game this way?

dfs