odd tidbits

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:28:57 -0800 (PST)

  1. Has anyone else found that at the hard setting, their clans tend to end up looking very similar after the first few years? I've started a number of games on hard, experimenting and trying to come up with a clan that will play out in a fairly distinct way from the one I'm running right now. What I find is that shear survival tends to push me towards the same solutions. On medium there was more ability to make odd strategies work. Or maybe its just me, not being bold enough to stick to my plans just because the clan is being decimated :-/

2)More starting leaders weirdness. I started a clan on the weekend that I think I'll play all the way through eventually, as maybe they are different enough, through no intentions of my own. I chose as our earliest event Odayla's 100 day hunt, which is supposed to give a mild boost to combat, animals, and combat, right? So I get only one leader with excellent combat (who is also my only war god worshiper!), nobody with plants above very good, and only one Odaylan. Obviously the lessons of that hunt didn't stick too well. Our primary god is Ernalda, and while we have some Ernaldans, none have particularly good leadership. Oh, and unrelated to the lack of impact of starting choices, our only lhankor my worshipper isn't all that good at custom. On the other hand, the clan boasts four leaders with renowned magic! Forget my planned strategy, this clan will live or die by heroquests.

3) This clan also benefitted from a first year sacred time prediction that I had never seen before, and could hardly believe even occured on the hard level. Roughly, it was "The godtalkers heard Orlanth laughing, and said that our raids would confound our opponents and that they would be too confused to raid us in return." Heh, first year, forget about reoganising the ring just yet, recruit weaponthanes and raid and cattle raid like mad! Oh, and find time to go kill the wyrm in the mountains....nothing like finishing your first year on hard actually ahead on cows, goods, and food. Oh, and we didn't even get flooded! Which is all to say, on the hard setting, your luck on the first year is just a huge factor. It's nice to get an interesting crop of leaders and a first year that was fortunate all in one package.

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com