Re: cow magic

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:47:51 -0700

Bryan Thexton wrote

>When I've had the clay cow, I've also had decent sized
>herds. Since it is touted as "keeping your herds from
>getting too small" (or words to that effect), it
>sounds like in this situation in may indeed help.

The effects of the Clay Cow are sort of gradual. The Many Birthing Cow is another similar treasure, but it produces more calves, but only in calving seasons.

(Perhaps the effects are too subtle, but if they were too blatant it would unbalance the game, as you could always give away all your cows and be guaranteed of getting them back.)

>I know the one time that I quested for more cows I got
>an impressive result--something close to 100 cows I
>think. Mind you, the quest went really, really, well,
>the yield may be highly variable.

I don't think it's ever quite 100, but "Over the next few days, people from all over Dragon Pass brought us cows, thanking for having performed the Blessings of Uralda heroquest, and bringing health and fertility to everyone's herds."

Martin Crim added

>A friend of mine got 200. Which would definitely be the best outcome of
>any heroquest I've seen. But that was (I think) at the Easy level.

I don't see how 200 would be possible -- however, the quest does have a "baseline benefit" which increases cattle fertility and decreases cattle disease, so looking at year-to-year totals might give you larger numbers.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.