Re: Digest Number 82

From: David Short <David.short_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:12:09 -0400

Couple of different things to reply to.
Sorry for any header confusion.
>Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:07:42 -0700
> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Heroquesting

>>3.does having a shrine or having made sacrifices to the god in the past year
>>help
>
>No. (Haven't I said this before?)
>
>>4.Does the season you preform the heroquest help or is it just Symbolic
>>(Orlanth an Akora in storm season for example)
>
>No. (Haven't I said this before?)

Yes, but not here.

>Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:53:12 -0400
> From: hollebon_at_...
>Subject: Lists of Secrets
>
>Hello all:
>
>I've been mulling over the idea of compiling a list of secrets/spoilers
>for the game. Two that I like are: individual quest strategies and
>treasure locations/powers. Maybe it's just the anal taxologist in me,
>but I'd find these useful and interesting. Any interest? Should I post
>these to the list or would they be too spoily? Note that I haven't
>written either up yet; I just have loose notes at this point.
>
>Comments?

For me one of the attractions to kodp is that since I don't know very little modifier to every algorythm I can really explore the game instead of min/maxing things.

In other words, I would use such a document and regret it.

>Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:59:01 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Captain Button <button_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Pournelle names KoDP Game of the Month!
>
>On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
>
>> Captain Button wrote:
>> >
>> > Jerry Pournelle (SF writer, computer columnist and general curmudgeon)
>> > in his Online version of his long-running BYTE column, said:
>> >

>> > The game of the month is King of Dragon Pass, published by A.Sharp
Is that rag still published? Good reviews are nice, but I have to believe that a sales agreement with a major retail chain would be better.

>Message: 14
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:09:08 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Christian Beijner <d88-cbr_at_...>
>Subject: : One for the log?

snip
>Guess some times you just cannot win.

yup. There are definately some starts that will kill you.

>Message: 15
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
> From: bjm10_at_...
>Subject: Re: : Good review in MacGaming.
>

>On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Christian Beijner wrote:
>
>> Quote "King of Dragon Pass is truly a hidden gem amongst Mac games."
>
>But it's not a Mac game! It may have been written on a Mac and can be
>played on a Mac, but it's not a Mac game. The Macintosh gaming market is
>pretty much the little end of nothing, sharpened, when compared to the
>general home computer gaming market. As long as KODP is relegated to the
>Mac ghetto, it's sales will be limited.

Of course this degenerated into an OS war, but I believe BJM's general point is that sales on that platform are dwarfed by the more popular OS.

If the game is a hidden gem in the mac market it wouldn't be visible in the Intel Market. OTOH as an MS gamer I've seen reviews of it in gaming magazines and at least one popular web site. It has enough fans to support two active forums.

I really wonder about what a# has created here. They have the technology and expertise to create some really fine kids games, but I don't know if that market has any real appeal to them.

dfs